samedi 28 mai 2011

The Playlist Of The Weekend

Turn on your iPod, press “Shuffle Songs” and see what happens…


“Inside My Love”, Minnie Riperton
I think I’ve discovered that song in the brilliant Tarantino’s “Jacky Brown”. It’s a pure R’n’B song with the marvelous voice of Riperton in it. The bass and strings of the chorus grooves like hell and we can hear the highest and yet smooth note made by a human voice I’ve ever heard in a song. The composition of the song is quite interesting and the arrangements are pure Motown sound but the main attraction here is the vocal performance of Minnie Riperton combined to that incredible Motown sound.


“I Love What You Do For Me”, Incognito, Live in Tokyo
That’s the first time I hear that song. A good friend showed me that great funk band that I don’t know well. This live in Tokyo seems amazing and hides some great tunes I have to listen to. Great song, great musicians, great singer but yet, something is missing for me. There ain’t nothing particular here according to me. That grooves well and the saxophone gets brutal in the end but I miss something.


“City Talks”, Syd Matters, Someday We Will Foresee Obstacles
Syd Matters are one of the best actual French bands. There not so famous yet but success is on its his way. They are in a way the French Pink Floyds but with a proper personality. This song is a very nice ballad on an old album. Their next album, Ghost Wispers, could become one of the greatest albums ever made and I strongly recommend it.


“Twenty-Four Hours A Day”, Billie Holliday
Nice. A good old song. I’ve always loved Billie’s voice. It’s like she’s activating a part of your brain you didn’t suspect when she starts singing: you listen to the lady. The band is brilliant and the song very nice and joyful. A good swing only that only misses Django aka the God of Swing. Solos are flowing very smoothly up till the end. Billie only sings for a few seconds there!


“This Is Not America”, David Bowie and Pat Metheny
I once was a huge fan of Bowie. I love his voice and this song is a brilliant expression of his talent of singer. That almost makes you forget about the all 8Os sounds. But the song is amazingly arranged and complex. The presence of Metheny in its composition might explain that. Although I don’t really see where the guitar genius intervenes here since the song remains quite pop and simple and there isn’t any guitar really. Pure Bowie spirit all along the song.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire